If you are in the market for physical silver bullion, you have many choices to consider. Silver is very popular for good reason and is available in several forms including silver bars, coins, and rounds. If you have looked at silver, you have likely come across the iconic American silver eagle coin. The American silver eagle is the most popular silver coin in the world.
A Brief History
The American silver eagle bullion coin was first struck in November of 1986. The coin was authorized by the Liberty Coin Act of 1985. While the first coins were minted in San Francisco, two other mints have also produced silver eagle coins including the Philadelphia Mint and the West Point Mint.
The American silver eagle coin is one of the most – if not the most – widely recognized silver coin in the world. The coin carries a great deal of symbolism and is considered an icon of American coinage. The coin’s obverse features the Walking Liberty design from Adolph A. Weinman. Walking Liberty is pointing with one arm and holding an olive branch in the other. She is featured with the rising sun in the background. The word “LIBERTY” is inscribed along the top rim of the coin while the inscription “IN GOD WE TRUST” is inscribed next to Liberty. A final inscription along the bottom rim of the coin features the coin’s mint year.
The coin’s reverse features the heraldic eagle with shield design by John Mercanti. In addition, there are 13 stars directly above the eagle representing the original 13 colonies. The reverse features several inscriptions as well, including “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, 1 OZ. FINE SILVER and ONE DOLLAR.”
The American silver eagle coin, unlike the American gold eagle coin, is available in only one weight. The American silver eagle coin contains one troy ounce of .999 fine silver. In addition, these coins carry a $1 face value and are good, legal tender.
Why you should include American Silver Eagles In Your Portfolio
As the top selling silver coin in the entire world, having American silver eagle coins in your portfolio can have some advantages. These advantages include:
- Great liquidity: American silver eagles are very liquid. While these coins sell out from time-to-time, there is usually a good supply of coins available. Because of their beauty and popularity, these coins are also very easy to sell.
- Silver content: American silver eagles contain one troy ounce of .999 fine silver.
- Reasonable premiums: Dealer premiums on American silver eagles tend to be quite reasonable. This allows you to get more silver for your dollar and stretch your investment money further.
- Collectibility: Some American silver eagles, such as proofs, can have collectible value over and above their silver and face values.
- IRA eligibility: American silver eagles are eligible for inclusion in your IRA account, making it easier to acquire and hold significant amounts.
- Ease of storage: American silver eagle coins are easily stacked and stored. They are a great choice when it comes to keeping some precious metals accessible in the event of a currency, economic, or geopolitical crisis.
The American silver eagle coin is the most popular silver coin for good reason. With its silver content, history, and overall beauty, these silver coins are definitely worth having as part of your overall holdings.
If you are interested in acquiring American silver eagles, your IRA account may be a great tool for building a significant portfolio. We encourage you to speak with an Advantage Gold account executive today. Our professionals can answer any questions you have about these valuable silver coins and can guide you through the process of using your IRA account to build your holdings. Don’t wait for silver prices or premiums to climb. Call us today at 1-800-341-8584.Tags: add silver to my ira, american silver eagle, buy silver, collect american silver eagles, invest in silver, physical silver, silver, silver coins