IRS-Approved IRA Gold and Silver
Conventional individual retirement accounts (IRAs) allow investors to hold many kinds of assets. These can include, but aren’t limited to:
- Mutual funds
- Money market accounts
- Real estate
But what if you want to hold other kinds of investments in your IRA? Before 1997, the IRS did not let investors put their money toward precious metal. Thanks to the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, those rules changed. This bill opened the door for individual investors to invest in IRS-approved coins and bars through self-directed IRAs. These investments—called Gold IRAs or precious metal IRAs—allow account holders to diversify their retirement portfolio.
The IRS allows gold, silver, platinum, and palladium. These precious metals must be a specific fineness and in the form of coins, bars, and rounds.
What is IRA-Eligible Gold?
IRA-eligible gold meets specific purity standards set by the IRS. Regulations don’t allow investors from holding collectibles—including some precious metals like gold or silver—in their IRAs. However, the following precious metals are eligible so long as they meet certain requirements:
IRA Precious Metal Requirements
For these four metals to be eligible for an IRA, they must meet the following requirements:
- Gold must be 99.5% pure (with the exception of the American Gold Eagle Coin).
- Silver must be 99.9% pure.
- Platinum must be 99.95% pure.
- Palladium must be 99.95% pure.
Bars and rounds
- Bars and rounds must have been produced by an approved mint.
- Small bars must meet exact weight specifications.
- Coins must remain in mint condition and in their original packaging.
- Certificates of authenticity are required.
- Non-proof (bullion) coins must be free of any damage and in uncirculated condition.
IRS-Approved Precious Metals
The following list includes IRS-approved precious metal products available for purchase. Note that when you purchase the following investments, you’re not allowed to have physical possession of them yourself. An IRS-approved custodian or trustee must be in possession, not the IRA owner.
Any distributions you take from a gold IRA are subject to the same laws as traditional IRAs. You may liquidate IRA metals for cash or take physical possession, but doing so counts as an IRA distribution and will result in paying all applicable taxes and fees.
IRS-Approved Gold Products
The following are IRS-approved gold products. Not all gold products are available through Advantage Gold, but we can help answer your questions about them:
- American Gold Eagle bullion coins
- American Gold Eagle proof coins
- Canadian Gold Maple Leaf coins
- Great-Horned Owl Gold bullion coins
- Australian Kangaroo/Nugget coins
- Chinese Gold Panda coins
- American Gold Buffalo uncirculated coins (proofs not allowed)
- Other gold bars and rounds produced by a NYMEX or COMEX-approved refinery or national government mint, meeting minimum IRS fineness requirements
For other IRA-eligible gold products, please call 800-341-8584 to speak to an IRA specialist.
IRS-Approved Silver Products
The following list includes many IRS-approved silver products available through Advantage Gold. In addition, we can help answer your questions about any silver products not listed:
- American Silver Eagle bullion coins
- Canadian Wild Horse bullion coins
- American Silver Eagle proof coins
- Canadian Silver Maple Leaf coins
- Austrian Silver Philharmonic coins
- Australian Silver Kookaburra coins
- Chinese Silver Panda coins
- Mexican Libertad coins
- Other silver bars and rounds produced by a NYMEX or COMEX-approved refinery or national government mint, meeting minimum IRS fineness requirements
For other IRA-eligible silver products, please call 800-341-8584 to speak to an IRA specialist.
IRS-Approved Platinum Products
The following platinum products are IRS-approved and available for purchase through Advantage Gold:
- American Platinum Eagle coins
- American Platinum Eagle proof coins
- Canadian Platinum Maple Leaf coins
- Isle of Man Noble coins
- Australian Platinum Koala coins
- Australian Platinum Emperor Penguin coins
- Other platinum bars and rounds produced by a NYMEX or COMEX-approved refinery or national government mint, meeting minimum IRS fineness requirements
For other IRA-eligible platinum products, please call 800-341-8584 to speak to an IRA specialist.
IRS-Approved Palladium Products
The following palladium products are approved by the IRS and available for purchase:
- Canadian Palladium Maple Leaf coins
- Other palladium bars and rounds produced by a NYMEX or COMEX-approved refinery or national government mint, meeting minimum fineness requirements
For other IRA-eligible palladium products, please call 800-341-8584 to speak to an IRA specialist.
Open a Gold IRA
At Advantage Gold, we believe a self-directed IRA with IRS-approved gold coins, bars, or other precious metal products is a sound way to diversify your retirement portfolio.
For more information about your Gold IRA or why you should consider investing in gold for your retirement, contact us or call 800-341-8584 to speak to one of our IRA specialists. We can help you open your self-directed Gold IRA today.